Posted by jeanne
thinking how it works that the game descends into the kind of game nobody wanted, and how they help, and how it gets worse and worse from alpha to beta tester and what it looks like in the final candidate.
when kurt makes the new version of the antarctica level and then dies, the level is locked away where they can’t get to it, and so they revise teh gema’s scope downward. it is no longer an epic tale of self-mastery and saving the world. it’s an amusement park where, if left to their own devices, players would soon find a way to rob and kill other players. so the boy and girl set out to make the carnival levels into a game that appeals to the masses, and plan to release the antarctic level in a future upgrade. this means they add elements of first person shooters, melees, strategy games and races, and remove the safety elements of the previously well-balanced physics rides. and the testers do their part by perverting gameplay and organizing gangs and wars.
and i have the end of the first act to do this.
ch 10 – they finish creating teh gema without kurt
ch 11 – the boy and girl test the cloud level and meet ex-kurt
ch 12 – testers on level 2 midway
ch 13 – testers on level 3 carneytown
ch 14 – they notice in the realworld
ch 15 – testers on cloud level
ch 16 – dragoncon 3 boy and girl open antarctica
this is kind of clunky. and right after this the real players go thru these same levels for real, so why am i doing it twice? and to tell the truth there is a realworld THEY notice part in each chapter now, while the overall structure dates from over a month ago and shit has happened since then.
so i need to rethink the chapters. perhaps if i visualize it, then the chapter structure can be seen and not forced.
the game is finally rebuilt without the antarctica level and is ready for testing. it’s got a lot of new features, expanded architecture, new threads and choices. they’ve been testing it bit by bit as they’ve installed pieces, but when it’s assembled they open it for testing.
11. the boy and girl stand around inside the game while the testers go thru. the alpha testers find bugs and there are art adjustments and several actual geometry adjustments as they suggest new activities and the kernel accommodates them. the girl and boy direct the kernel to do this. they facilitate it somehow. so the alpha testers distort the teachings of the game, change the parameters to make the games violent, find ways to cheat.
12. when the beta testers get there the alpha testers take advantage of them. but the beta testers themselves interact with the kernel, which turns the games even more warlike and unfair.
13. at go-live the boy and girl open antarctica and are alone in it for the moment.
14. when the real players get to the carnival levels, the alphas have taken over and made rules, the betas are an underclass, and the real players are slaves following rules that were never thought up by the boy and girl. when the real players get thru to the cloud level it’s a madhouse and things are leaking thru to the realworld all the time.
15. and then they’re all in antarctica.
so i think i need one fewer chapter.